Saturday, January 16, 2016

Student Spotlight #20: Lycee Ouzoud (Morocco)

Bouchra

Hello! My name is Bouchra Taghjanout. I'm a 16 year old Moroccan girl and I live in a small and beautiful town named Azilal. I live with my family: my father Said, my mother Rabha, my two brothers Driss and Hicham, and my sister Merriem. 

I study in a technical high school. I speak Arabic, French, Amazight and English too. About my character: I am a hard working student, helpful, and sociable too. In addition I have many hobbies. I love to read English short stories and novels. I also like watching Indian and English movies. I love Harry Potter the best, and action and horror movies.

Now my friends I would like to tell you about a strange celebration in Morocco that is called the Imchil Marriage Festival.

The Imchil Marriage Ceremony takes place in the Atlas mountains near Azilal every year. Two main Amazigh (the native people of Morocco) tribes participate in the festival, Ait Hdiddou and Ait Wazza. Hundreds of young men and women meet and marry at the three-day event. Because the villages are snowbound for most of the year the festival offers an occasion for trade, amusement and matrimony.

Henna, a reddish-brown organic dye, is applied to the bride's hands and feet before the wedding to ward off the evil eye. A tray is made for the bride with a brick of sugar, two raw eggs, and some perfume. On the second day, the dried henna is washed off leaving beautiful patterns that last on the skin for two weeks!
moroccan henna
Hospitality is very important to Moroccans. A host traditionally welcomes guests by offering them milk and dates. During the wedding ceremony the bride and groom share a bowl of milk and feed each other dates, thus symbolically becoming both guest and host to each other.

On the third day of the festivities all the newly married couples must go to the lakes Tslit and Isli for a traditional visit. It is believed that long ago a young man married a young woman whose parents did not approve. The couple ran away and cried all night. Their tears created the two lakes. 

I hope you can visit the wedding festival one day! 

a traditional Imchil bride



No comments:

Post a Comment